Updated: November 2013
- Areas of Interest
- Academic Positions
- Prizes and Awards
- Other Relevant Positions
- List of Publications
- Selected Papers at Scientific Conferences
Born: March 8, 1970
Status: Living with partner, Smadar Sharon, and son, Omer Sharon-Gabay
|2007|| Ph.D. (summa cum laude), School of History, Tel Aviv
Dissertation: The inculcation of “hygienic” models of conduct to the Jewish community of Mandate Palestine
|2001||M.A. (summa cum laude), Unit of Culture Research, Tel Aviv University|
|Summer 2000||International Women’s University (IFU), Hannover, Germany|
|1994/5 – 1996/7||B.A. (magna cum laude), General and Interdisciplinary Studies in the Humanities, Tel Aviv University|
|1993 – 1994||New York University, NYC, Photography Department (studies towards a BA degree)|
|1992 – 1993||New School for Social Research, NYC, Faculty of Humanities (studies towards a BA degree)|
Areas of Interest
- Jewish society and culture in Mandate Palestine
- Culture of everyday life
- Culture theory and research
- Gender and ethnic relations
- Racism and racial thought
- Historical anthropology
- Gay and lesbian studies and queer theory
|2009 –||Lecturer, Department of Sociology, Political Science and Communication, The Open University of Israel|
|2008 – 2009||Visiting Lecturer, Department of Sociology, Political Science and Communication, The Open University of Israel|
|2007 – 2008||Postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|2006 –||Adjunct Teacher, Unit of Culture Research, Tel Aviv University|
|2006 – 2007||Adjunct Teacher, Sapir Academic College|
|May 2002||Research Fellow, The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin|
Prizes and Awards
|2011 - 2013||ISF research grant for the project: "Hummus: The Socio-Cultural Life of an Israel Food Icon|
|2008/9||Post-doctoral fellowship, Frankel Center for Judaic Studies, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (declined)|
|2007/8||Golda Meir post-doctoral fellowship, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|2004/5||Doctoral Scholarship Grant, The Alfried Krupp von Bohlen and Halbach Foundation, within the framework of the Iganaz Buvis Scholarship Fund|
|2002||Doctoral Scholarship Grant, Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture|
|2002||The Pinchas and Sheindil Wald Award of the Zalman Shazar Center for Jewish History|
|2002||The Rabin Center Award for MA thesis|
|2001||Hadassah International Research Institute on Jewish Women at Brandeis University Research Grant|
|2001||The Chutick Women Studies Award, The Women Studies Forum with NCJW, Tel Aviv University|
|1999||The Puzis Award for Academic Achievements, The Faculty of Humanities, Tel Aviv University|
|1996||Annual Dean of Humanities Award for Academic Achievements|
|1995||Annual Dean of Humanities Award for Academic Achievements|
Other Relevant Positions
||Head of research group "Encounters between history and
anthropology - studying the Israeli-Palestinian space," Van Leer
|2008 – 2009||Member of research group “Central- and Eastern-European influences on Zionism and the state of Israel,” Van Leer Institute, Jerusalem|
|2004 – 2005||Member of the Forum for the Study of Israeli Society and Culture, Van Leer Institute, Jerusalem|
List of Publications
BooksDafna Hirsch, "We Are Here to Bring the West": Hygiene Education and Culture Building in the Jewish Society of Mandate Palestine, The Ben-Gurion Reserach Institute for the Study of Israel and Zionism Publishing House (Hebrew, forthcoming).
Hummus: The Making of an Israeli Culinary Cult
Encounters Between History and Anthropology in Studying the Israeli-Palestinian Space (edited volume).
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Dafna Hirsch and Ofra Tene, "Hummus: The Making of an Israeli Culinary Cult", Journal of Consumer Culture 13 (2013), 25-45.
- Dafna Hirsch, "'Hummus is Best when it is Fresh and made by Arabs': The Gourmetization of Hummus in Israel and the Return of the Repressed Arab," American Ethnologist 38 (2011), 617-630.
- Dafna Hirsch, "Gender and Ethnicity in Zionist Nation-Building Project: The Case of Hannah Helena Thon," Ethnic and Racial Studies 34 (2011), 275-292.
- Dafna Hirsch, “Zionist Physicians, Mixed Marriage, and the Creation of a New Jewish Type,” The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 15 (2009), 592-609.
- Dafna Hirsch, “ ‘We Are Here to Bring the West, Not Only to Ourselves’: Zionist Occidentalism and the Discourse of Hygiene in Mandate Palestine,” International Journal of Middle East Studies 41 (2009), 577-594.
- Dafna Hirsch, “ ‘His Mental Longings She Does not Understand’: Hygiene Education of Mizrahi Mothers During the British Mandate Period,” Yiunim Betkumat Israel: Gender in Israel, 2001: 106-139 (Hebrew).
- Dafna Hirsch, “ ‘Friend and Supervisor’: The Public Health Nurse in Mandate Palestine as a Cultural Agent,” Zion 73 (2008), 453-484 (Hebrew).
- Dafna Hirsch, “ ‘Interpreters of Occident to the Awakening Orient’: The Jewish Public Health Nurse in Mandate Palestine,” Comparative Studies in Society and History, 50 (1), (2008), 227-255.
Chapters in Books
- Dafna Hirsch, “‘Infusion of New Blood Can Only Heal and Strengthen’: Zionist Physicians and Mixed Marriages,” in Yahouda Shenhav and Yossi Yona (eds.), Racism in Israel (Jerusalem: The Van Leer Institute, 2008), 160-185 (Hebrew).
- Dafna Hirsch, “Homotopia: Independence Park in Tel Aviv,” in Rachel Kallus and Tali Hatuka (eds.), Architectural Culture: Place, Representation, Body (Tel Aviv: Resling, 2005), pp. 287-310 (Hebrew).
- Dafna Hirsch, “ ‘We Are Here to Bring the West’: Hygiene Education within the Jewish Community in Colonial Palestine (1920-1948),” in Body Project (Eds.), Corporealities: Interventions in an Omnipresent Theme (Königsstein/Taunus: Ulrike Helmer, 2004), pp. 336-352.
- Dafna Hirsch, “ ‘Wir sind hier, um den Westen zu bringen’: Hygieneerziehung in der jüdischen Gemeinschaft des kolonialen Palästina (1920-1948),” in Body Project (Hg.): Korporealitäten. In(ter)ventionen in ein omnipräsentes Thema (Königsstein/Taunus: Ulrike Helmer Verlag, 2002), pp. 349-367.
Open University Materials
- Seven sections for the study guide in the course "Theories and Approaches in Culture Research" (14205)
- Study guide for the course "Body and Culture"
- "Body and Cultures: Outline of a Thriving Academic Discussion" - an opening article for the "Body and Culture" course reader
- Co-author of study guides for the courses "Popular Culture" (14211) and "Gender: Culture and Identity" (14212)
- Dafna Hirsch, “Epilogue,” in Chen Mike, Fear, Love: Interviews with Lesbians, Homosexuals and Parents (Tel Aviv: Mifgashim, 2009), 181-189 (Hebrew).
- Dafna Hirsch, “Jews and Medicine in the Age of Modernisation and Secularization,” in David Shacham (ed.), New Jewish Time – Jewish Culture in a secular age – Encyclopedic perspective (Tel Aviv: Keter, 2007) (Hebrew).
- Dafna Hirsch, “ ‘We Are Here to Bring the West’: The Hygienic Discourse in Jewish Palestine,” Zmanim, 78 (2002), 107-120 (Hebrew).
- Dafna Hirsch, “Tel Aviv: rendez-vous à l’Independence Park,” Revue Urbanisme, 325 (2002), 64-66.
- Dafna Hirsch, “Independence Park: A Homosexual Domain,” Architecture of Israel 36 (1999), 60-65 (Hebrew).
- Dafna Hirsch, Review of Raphael Falk’s book, Zionism and the Biology of the Jews, Israeli Sociology, 10 (2008), 237-239.
- Dafna Hirsch, Review of Aziza Khazzoom’s book, Shifting Ethnic Boundaries and Inequality in Israel, Israel Studies Forum (forthcoming).
- Translation of a chapter from Judith Butler’s Bodies That Matter, in Dalit Baum et al. (eds.), Studying Feminism: A Reader (Tel Aviv, 2006), pp. 443-476.
Selected Papers at Scientific Conferences
|2013||Lecture at the 28th annual conference of the Association for Israel Studies, UCLA|
|2012||Lecture at the international conference "Foodways: Diasporic
Diners, Transnational Tables and Culinary Connections", University of
|2012||Lecture at the Crossroads for Cultural Studies Conference, Sorbonne, Paris|
|2011||Lecture at the annual conference of the Association for Israel Studies, Brandeis University|
|2011||Lecture of the annual conference of the Association for the Study of Ethnicity and Nationalism, London School of Economics|
|2010||Lecture at the international workshop "Food, Power and Meaning in the Middle East and the Mediterranean", Ben Gurion University|
|2010||Lecture at the 26th annual conference of the Association for Israel Studies, University of Toronto|
|2010||Lecture at the conference "Unforgettable Hebrew Women" – conference in honor of Prof. Margalith Shilo, Bar Ilan University|
|2009||Lecture at the conference "Cultures in Israel: Contacts and Conflicts," The Open University of Israel|
Lecture at the international conference of the European Association for the History of Medicine and Health: "Global Developments and Local Specificities in the History of Medicine and Health," Heidelberg
|2009||Lecture at the international conference “Feminist Research Methods,” Stockholm University|
|2009||Lecture at the conference “Children and Youth during Times of Revolution and National Change,” Tel Aviv University|
|2008||Lecture at the conference “Gender and Nationalism,” Tel Aviv University|
|2008||Lecture at the conference “Feminist Thinking after Gender Trouble,” The Open University of Israel, Ra’anana|
|2008||Lecture at the annual conference of the Association for Israel Studies, New York University|
|2008||Lecture at the lecture marathon of candidates for the Mandel scholarship, Scholion Interdisciplinary Center for Research in Jewish Studies, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|2007||Lecture at the international workshop of the Simon Dubnow Institute for Jewish History and Culture at Leipzig University, “Negotiating Jewish Knowledge: Transitions and Transformations,” The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|2007||Lecture at the annual conference of the Association for Israel Studies (International conference), The Open University of Israel, Ra’anana|
|2007||Lecture at the 31st annual conference of the Israeli Association for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies, Tel Aviv University|
|2007||Lecture at the conference “Private Mother, National Mother: Motherhood During the Yishuv,” Bar Ilan University|
|2006||Lecture at the international conference “ImagiNATION – the Cultural Praxis of Zionism” – Arizona State University at Tempe|
|2005||Paper presentation at the international workshop “Experts and Mediators of Knowledge in the 20th Century” – Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin.|
|2005||Paper presentation at the Annual Conference of the Israeli Society for the History of Medicine and Science: “The History of Nursing and Midwifery in Israel and Abroad”|
|2004||Paper presentation at the Annual Conference of the Israeli Anthropological Association, Sde Boker|
|2001||Paper presentation at the 13th World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem|
|2001||Paper presentation at the international conference “Consumption and Gender in Historical Perspectives” – Tel Aviv University|