Updated: March 2017
- Research Fields
- Academic Positions
- Professional Memberships
- Awards, Fellowships and Grants
- List of Publications
- Other Professional Activities
|2007|| Ph.D., The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Dissertation: "Studies in Figurative Language of Pre-Classical Piyyut"
|2002|| M.A.(magna cum laude), The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Thesis:"Elazar Birabi Qilir: Liturgical Poems for Hanukkah: A Critical Edition Based on Manuscripts from the Cairo Genizah"
|2000||B.A. (magna cum laude), Hebrew Literature and Interdisciplinary Studies, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
- Jewish and Christian Liturgical Poetry
- Paleography of Medieval Jewish Manuscripts
- Ritual and Performance in Late Antique Judaism and Christianity
- Gender and Sexuality in Rabbinic Culture
|2010 -||Senior Lecturer, Department of History, Philosophy and Judaic Studies, The Open University of Israel|
|2008-2009||Visiting Faculty, Department of History, Philosophy and Judaic Studies, The Open University of Israel|
|2007-2008||Fellow, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, University of Pennsylvania|
|2006-2007||Visiting Scholar, Department of Religious Studies, Brown University|
|2003-2005||Junior Research Fellow, Scholion – Interdisciplinary Research Center in Jewish Studies, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|2001-2005||Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Hebrew Literature, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|1999-2001||Teaching Assistant, Department of Hebrew Literature, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
- Association for Jewish Studies
- World Union of Jewish Studies
- European Association of Jewish Studies
- Society of Biblical Literature
Awards, Fellowships and Grants
|2011-2014||Allon Fellowship for Outstanding Young Researchers, Council for Higher Education|
|2011||Research Grant, The Research Authority, The Open University of Israel, "Dynamics between Piyyut and Midrash" (Following a proposal to the ISF)|
|2009||Research Grant, The Research Authority, The Open University of Israel, "Dialogical Poetry from the Cairo Genizah"|
|2007-2008||David and Penina Zoller Fellowship - Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, University of Pennsylvania|
|2006-2007||Rothchild Postdoctoral Fellowship – Yad Hanadiv Foundation|
|2005-2006||Mark Uveeler Special Doctoral Scholarship, Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture|
|2005||Travel Grant, Dorot Foundation|
|2004||The Polonsky Prize for Creativity and Originality in the Humanistic Disciplines, Authority for Research and Development, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|2003-2006||Doctoral Research Fellowship, Scholion – Interdisciplinary Research Center in Jewish Studies, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|2002-2003||Graduate Student Fellowship, The Mandel Institute of Jewish Studies, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|2001||I. Tishbi Outstanding Graduate Student Award, The Mandel Institute of Jewish Studies, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel|
|2000||J. Burla Undergraduate Student Prize, Department of Hebrew Literature, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
List of Publications
- Gender and Sexuality in Rabbinic Culture, Ra'anana: The Open University of Israel Press 2017 (Hebrew)
- Liturgical Poems by Elazar Birabi Qilir for Hanukkah - A Critical Edition Based on Manuscripts from the Cairo Genizah, Jerusalem: Yad Ben ZVi 2017 (in press, Hebrew).
- Ancient Piyyut - An Annotated Anthology, Tel Aviv: Tel Aviv University Press 2015 (Hebrew)
- "The Ritualization of Creation in Jewish and Christian Liturgical Texts from Late Antiquity," in L. Jenott, S. Kattan-Gribetz (eds.), Jewish and Christian Cosmogony in Late Antiquity (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck 2013), pp. 271-286.
- "A Prolegomenon to the Study of Hekhalot Traditions in European Piyyut," in P. Schäfer , M. Himmelfarb and R. Boustan (eds.), Hekhalot Literature in Context: Between Byzantium and Babylonia (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck 2013), pp. 110-122.
- "Narrating Salvation - Verbal Sacrifices in Late Antique Liturgical Poetry," in A. Y. Reed, N. Dohrmann (eds.), Jews, Christians, and the Roman Empire: The Poetics of Power Late Antiquity (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press 2013), pp. 154-166, 315-319.
- "Figurative Language in Early Piyyut," in W. van Bekkum and N. Katsumata (eds.), Giving a Diamond: Essays in Honor of Joseph Yahalom on the Occasion of His Seventieth Birthday (Leiden: Brill 2011), 51-68.
- "Carnivalesque Ambivalence and the Christian Other in Jewish Poems from Byzantine Palestine," in R. Bonfil, O. Irshai, G. Stroumsa and R. Talgam (eds.), Jews in Byzantium: Dialectics of Minority and Majority Cultures (Leiden: Brill 2011), pp. 831-845.
- "Other Voices: Haman, Jesus and the Representations of the Other in Purim Poems from Byzantine Palestine," in Y. Shapira, O. Herzog and T. S. Hess (eds.), Popular and Canonical: Literary Dialogues (Tel Aviv: Resling 2007), pp. 69-79, 211-217 (Hebrew).
Refereed Journal Articles
- “The Parable of the Lame and the Blind in Epiphanius and its Relations to Jewish Sources: New Texts” Journal of Theological Studies (forthcoming, 2018)
- "The payytanic Epithet and its Connections with Figurative Language," Jerusalem Studies in Hebrew Literature 28 (2016), pp. 93-112 (Hebrew).
- "Jewish and Christian Dispute Poems on the Relationship between the Body and the Soul," Jerusalem Studies in Hebrew Literature, 2013, pp. 187-209 (Hebrew).
- "Christians and Christianity in Payytanic Literature: Between Typological and Concrete Representations," Mikan - Journal for Hebrew and Israeli Literature and Culture Studies 11 (2012), pp. 43-56 (Hebrew).
- "Figurative Language in Pre-Classical Piyyut: Between Biblical Models and Poetic Innovations," Jerusalem Studies in Hebrew Literature 24 (2011), pp. 1-22 (Hebrew).
- "Liturgical Poetry in the sLate Antique Near East: A Comparative Approach," Journal of Ancient Judaism 1:3 (2010), pp. 336-361.
- "Reflections on Jewish and Christian Liturgical Poetry in Late Antiquity," Peamim: A Quarterly for the Study of Oriental Jews 119 (2009), pp. 131-172 (Hebrew).
- "'As the Apple Among Fruits, so the Priest When He Emerges': Poetic Similies in Pre-Classical Poems of the 'How Lovely' Genre," Ginzei Qedem - Genizah Research Annual 5 (2009), pp. 165-188 (Hebrew).
- "All about Sarah: Questions of Gender in Yannai's Poems on Sarah's (and Abraham's) Barrenness," Prooftexts – A Journal of Jewish Literary History 26 (3), (2006), pp. 344-374.
- "Structural Ornamentations and Figurative Language in the Ancient Piyyut," Jerusalem Studies in Hebrew Literature 21 (2006), pp.19–38 (Hebrew).
- "From Seder HaMaaracha to Seder HaMaamadot – The Emergence and Transformations of a Liturgical Rite in the Middle Ages," Tarbitz – A Quarterly for Jewish Studies 73 (2004), pp. 293-310 (Hebrew).
- "The Creation, The Mishakn and Moshe Hadarshan," Tarbitz – A Quarterly for Jewish Studies 71 (2002), pp. 265-268 (Hebrew).
- "Towards the Solution of the Shabuoth Piyyutim Censorship," Tarbitz – A Quarterly for Jewish Studies 70 (2001), pp. 637-644 (Hebrew).
- "Piyyut", "Yannai", "El'azar birabi Qilir," in Eric Orlin, Michael Satlow (eds.) Routledge Encyclopedia of Ancient Mediterranean Religions, , London: Routledge 2016, pp. 279, 791, 1014-1015
- M. Rand, Introduction to the Grammar of Hebrew Poetry in Byzantine Palestine (New Jersey: Gorgias Press, 2006), for the Journal of Semitic Studies 54 (2009), pp. 595-597.
- M. Florentin, Samaritan Elegies - A Collection of Lamentations, Admonitions, and Poems of Praising God (Bialik Institute 2012) for the European Journal of Jewish Studies (2017, in press).
- "Jacob of Serug’s Homily on Jephtah’s Daughter", in Metrical Homilies of Mar Jacob of Sarug, New Jersey: Gorgias Press 2010 (with Susan Ashbrook Harvey).
Work in Progress
- The Sacred Muse: Liturgical Poetry and the Making of in the late antique Near East
Articles / Chapters
- IN SITU: Liturgical Poetry and Sacred Space in Late Antiquity
- The Liturgical Performance of Identity
- Attitudes towards Christianity
in Jewish Liturgical Poetry: From Late Antique Palestine to Medieval
- The Evil Inclination in Late Antique Piyyut
- Piyyut in Byzantine Palestine - An Introduction (Hebrew)
- Hebrew and Syriac Liturgical Poetry - A Comparative Ooutlook
- “Take pity on Zion,
rebuild the walls of Jerusalem”: A Late Antique Hebrew Elegy on
the Destruction of Jerusalem
- Imagined Journeys: Travel Narratives in Alharizi’s Takhkemoni and Aldahri’s Sefer Hamusr
Refereed Conference Papers
|2014||"The Liturgist as Author," Tenth Congress of the European Association for Jewish Studies, Paris, France, July 20-24.|
|2013||"The Ritualization of Narration in Jewish and Christian Liturgical Poetry," Patristic Studies in the Twenty-First Century, Jerusalem, June 25-27|
|2012||"Dynamics between Verse and Prose in Jewish Texts from the
Early Byzantine Period," Byzantine Studies Association of North America
Annual Meeting, Boston, October 1-4
|2012||"Ut Pictura Poesis? On the Connections between Liturgical Poetry and Mosaic Pavements in Late Antique Churches and Synagogues", Tradition and Transition in Jewish, Christian and Muslim Cultures, Woolf Institute, The University of Cambridge, 24-26.|
|2011||"The Ancient Synagogue in its Byzantine-Christian Context: The Case of Hebrew Liturgical Poetry (Piyyut)", ASOR Annual Meeting, San Francisco, November 16-19.|
|2011||"The Dynamics Between Piyyut and Midrash,", Medieval Hebrew Poetry Colloquium, Ruhr Universität, Bochum, Germany, July 18-20.|
|2011||"Towards a Holistic Approach to the Study of Piyyut and Midrash: The Case of the Ascension of Moses Narratives," SBL International Meeting, London, July 4-8.|
|2010||"Wings of Change: Angels in Palestinian and Italian Piyyut," Ninth Congress of the European Association for Jewish Studies, Ravenna, Italy, July 25-29.|
|2010||"Andalusian Poetry and Israeli Rock Music," The twenty-fourth Inter-University Conference for Hebrew Literature Research, The Open University of Israel, June 21-22 (Hebrew).|
|2009||"Priests and Sages: On the Status of Piyyut in Late Ancient Jewish Culture," Fifteenth World Congress of Jewish Studies, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, August 2-6 (Hebrew).|
|2009||"Liturgy, Ritual and Myth: Between the Sidrei Avodah and the Byzantine Anaphoras," The twenty-third Inter-University Conference for Hebrew Literature Research, Bar Ilan University, June 8-9 (Hebrew).|
|2009||"A Fourth Century Samaritan Hymn by Marqa," Back to the Sources - An International Workshop on Jewish and Christian Liturgy, Ben Gurion University, February 24-26.|
|2009||"The Liturgy of St. Basil and the Jewish Seder Avodah - A Comparative Perspective," The Byzantine Society of Israel Annual Meeting, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, February 5 (Hebrew).|
|2007||"Many Voices, One Choir: Poetry and Poetics in Late Antiquity - A Comparative Approach," AJS Annual Meeting, Toronto, December 16-18.|
|2007||"When Poetry Does Not Follow Religious Affiliation: Christian and Jewish Poets on Body and Soul," Syriac Symposium V, University of Toronto, June 25-27.|
|2006||"Carnivalesque Ambivalence and the Christian Other in Jewish poems from Byzantine Palestine," The Medieval Hebrew Poetry Colloquium, Harvard University, August 27-29.|
|2006||"Jewish and Syriac Hymnography in the Fourth Century," Dorushe Conference on Syriac Pedagogy, The Catholic University of America, Washington DC, February 3-5.|
|2005||"Allegoria non Grata? On the Status of Allegory in the Hebrew liturgical Poetry of Late Antiquity," National Association of Professors of Hebrew Annual Conference, Stanford University, June 19-22, 2005; Fourteenth World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, July 31 - August 4 (Hebrew).|
|2004||"Imagined Journeys – Literature, History and the Production of Travel Narratives in Sixteenth-Century Yemenite ‘Book of Ethics’," The Early Modern Travel Narrative, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, April 30 - May 1.|
|2003||"Barrenness, Birth and the Poetics of Redemption According to Hebrew Poems from Late Antiquity," Birth as Experience and as Metaphor, Jerusalem, November 11-13.|
|2003||"The Wandering Jerusalem of the Montanist Movement," Challenging the Boundaries – Annual Meeting of the Poetics and Linguistics Association, Istanbul, June 22-26.|
|2003||"Is Cultural Poetic of the Cairo Genizah Possible?," What’s New? Innovations in the Current Study of Jews and Judaism, Jerusalem, April 30 - May 1 (Hebrew).|
|2001||"Amir Gilboa’s Poetry and the Ancient Piyyut," Thirteenth World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, July 22-26 (Hebrew).|
|2015||"Historiogrsphical Accounts Concerning the Birth of Late Antique Liturgical Poetry,", Sacred Songs in the Late Antique and Byzantine East, Brown University, May 3-6|
|2015||"The Birth of the Author in Late Antique Jewish Culture," University of California, Berkeley, April 29|
|2014||"Creation of the World in Piyyut," Biblical Epics, Cambridge University, November 16-17|
|2014||"The Evil Inclination in Early Piyyut," The Origins of Sin, Cambridge University, September 2-4|
|2014||"Representattions of Christianity in Late Antique and Medieval Piyyut," Religiously Motivated Violence, München Universität, March 9-12|
|2014||"Liturgical Poetry and the Creation of Ritual Space," Placing Ancient Texts: The Rhetorical and Ritual Use of Space, Princeton University, March 23-26|
|2013||"The Birth of the Author: Piyyut, Midrash and the Question of Authorship", Genesis Rabbah: Text and Contexts, Princeton University, March 3-5|
|2013||'The Binding of Isaac in Jewish Palestinian Aramaic and
Syriac Liturgical Poetry,' The Liturgy of the Samaritans, Martin
Luther Universität Halle-Wittenberg, Halle, February 3-7
|2012||"Ritual, Sacred Space and Creation Narratives in early Judaism and Christianity", Religious Studies Colloquium, University of Pennsylvania, March 29|
|2010||"Hekhalot Literature and Medieval Piiyut", Hekhalot Literature Reconsidered, Princeton University, November 14-16|
|2010||"The Ritualization of Creation in Late Antique Jewish and Christian Liturgical Texts," In the Beginning: Jewish and Christian Cosmogony in Late Antiquity, Princeton University, May 2-4.|
|2009||"Late Antique Hymnography and Biblical Poetry," Liturgie und Dichtung im Neuen Testament, Universität Münster, December 1-3.|
|2009||"Joseph and Mrs. Potiphar - A Case Study in Comparative Hymnography," Ancient Ornamentalism: Sacred Poetry and the Aesthetic of Late Antiquity - Research Workshop, Ohio State University, October 18-21.|
|2009||"Mixed Feelings? On the Representations of Christianity in Late Antique and Medieval Jewish Liturgical Poetry," The Middle Ages Now, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, March 26 (Hebrew).|
|2008||"Isaac Redivivus: Toward a Cultic Understanding of Late Antique Poetry," Gruss Colloquium, University of Pennsylvania, April 30.|
|2007||"The Binding(s) of Isaac: Poetic Creativity and Religious Discourse in Late Antiquity," Religious Studies Colloquium, Brown University, November 27.|
|2006||"From Ephrem to Yannai: The Rise of Jewish Hymnography," Zur Entwicklung der Liturgie in Judentum und Christentum, Aachen, November 19-21.|
|2005||"Structural Ornamentations and Figurative Language in the Ancient Piyyut," Conference in Memory of Menachem Zulay, Ben Zvi Institiute, Jerusalem, February 5-6 (Hebrew).|
|2004||"Sarah’s Barrenness in Light of Yannai’s Poetry," Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, April 28.|
Other Professional Activities
|2015||Co-organizer, Workshop in Comparative Hymnography, Brown University, USA (May 3-6).|
|2012||Member, Seminar on Digital Paleography, Leibniz Zentrum für Informatik, Schloss Dagstuhl, September 19-21|
|2011||Organizer, Textual Workshop on Late Antique and Medieval Piyyut for the Medieval Hebrew Poetry Poetry Colloquium, Ruhr Universität, Bochum, Germany (July 18-20).|
|2010||Organizer, Session on the study of Piyyut in its Byzantine context for the Ninth Congress of the European Association for Jewish Studies, Ravenna, Italy (July 25-29).|
|2010||Co-organizer, The twenty-fourth Inter-University Conference for Hebrew Literature Research, The Open University of Israel (June 21-22).|
|2009||Co-organizer, Workshop in Comparative Hymnography, Ohio State University, USA (October 19-21).|
|2007||Organizer, Session on the comparative study of late antique liturgical poetry for the thirty-ninth Annual Meeting of the Association for Jewish Studies , Toronto, Canada (December 16-18).|