- Fields of Research
- Professional Experience
- Membership in Professional Societies
- Research Grants
- List of Publications
- Selected Papers at Scientific Conferences
Tel. (Office): 972-9-778-1771
Tel. (Home): 972-3-571-3595
Born: Kibbutz Kfar-Giladi, Israel, 1948
Marital Status: Married + 3
Military service: 1965 - 1989
Address:Asirey Zion 25/30, Petah Tiqua, Israel.
|1974 – 1978||B.Sc., Dept. of Physics, Tel-Aviv University|
|1983 – 1986||M.Sc., Dept. of Geophysics and Planetary Sciences, Tel Aviv University
Thesis: The physical mechanism of the Saharan Sharav Cyclone through observations and analytical model
Supervisor: Prof. P. Alpert
|1989 – 1994||Ph.D., Department of Geophysics and Planetary Sciences, Tel Aviv University
Dissertation: Rotation of extra-tropical binary cyclones
Supervisor: Prof. P. Alpert
|1995 – 1996||Post-Doctorate, Inst. of Earth Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Project: Divergence patterns in time-varying jet streams
Supervisor: Prof. N. Paldor
Other Professional Studies
|1968||Diploma: Weather forecaster, Israeli Meteorological Service, Weather Forecasting|
|1992||Summer school in "Geophysical and Environmental Fluid Dynamics," Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK|
Fields of Research
- Synoptic meteorology
- Climate, climate change
- Air pollution meteorology
- Dynamic meteorology
|1969 – 1989||Senior weather forecaster and meteorological officer, Israeli Air Force|
|1985 – 1989||Manager, Meteorological Satellite Receiving and Processing Center, Israeli Air Force|
|1990 – 1996||Academic organizer, "Fundamentals of Physics," The Open University of Israel|
|1994 – 1995||Member, governmental committee to investigate the functioning of the National Forecasting Center of the Israel Meteorological Service|
|1995 – 2005||Advisor, Israel Meteorological Service|
|1997 – 2001||Dorector, Academic Development Administration, The Open University of Israel|
|2001 –||Course development and coordination, "Fundamentals of Physics," "Laboratory in Meteorology," The Open University of Israel|
|2007 –||Head, Physics group, Department of Natural Sciences, The Open University of Israel|
|1990 –||Lecturer, Tel Aviv University, Dept. of Geophysics and Planetary Sciences: "Synoptic Meteorology"; Dept. of Geography: "Applied Meteorology"|
|1992 – 1995||Tutor, The Open University of Israel: "Introduction to Meteorology"|
|1995||Senior lecturer, International seminar on "Agricultural Weather Forecasting," Bangkok, Thailand|
|1995 – 1997||Lecturer, Levinski Teachers' Seminary, Elementary Physics and Climatology|
|1996 – 2007||Lecturer, Inst. of Earth Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, "Weather Systems of the Mid Latitudes" and "Analysis of Synoptic Systems"|
Other Scientific Activities
|1995 –||Referee of proposals in Atmospheric Studies for The Bi-National Science Foundation (BSF)|
|1995||Scientific consultant for the book by D. Gershon & B. Resnik, Weather, Maariv Press (in Hebrew)|
|2000||Scientific advisor for the climatologic section of the book by H. Gvirtzman, Israel Water Resources|
|2002 –||Referee of proposals in Atmospheric Studies for The Israel Science Foundation (ISF)|
|2002 –||Referee of papers in atmospheric studies for the journals: International Journal of Climatology, Israel Journal of Earth Sciences, Journal of Geophysical Research and Advances in Geophysics|
Membership in Professional Societies
|1985 –||Israeli Meteorological Society (IMS)
Member, Council of the IMS (1988-2000; 2002-present)
Member, Ethics Committee (1998-2002)
|1990 – 2001||Member, Editorial Board, IMS Journal
Chief Editor (1995-2001)
Israel Science Foundation (ISF), grant no. 828/02, 2002-2005:
"The summer circulations over the Middle East: governing factors, tele-connections with remote systems and climatic trends" (with H. Saaroni and P. Alpert, Tel Aviv University), $90,000
The International Arid Lands Consortium (IALC), USDA Forest Service and Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service, project # OOR-21, 2000-2002:
"Structure and Dynamics of Rainstorms Inducing Floods in the Negev" (with Prof. Uri Dayan, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem), $68,045
The Open University of Israel Research Authority, 2003-2006:
"Tropical plumes over eastern North Africa" (with Nathan Paldor, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem), $45,000
Israel Science Foundation (ISF) grant no. 764/06, 2006-2009:
"The role of the synoptic systems in climatic variability and long term trends over the Eastern Mediterranean" (with H. Saaroni and P. Alpert, Tel Aviv University), $55,000
The Israeli Ministry of Environmental Protection, grant no. 6-801, 2007:
"Relationships between synoptic and meso-scale conditions and NOx concentrations in Tel-Aviv - development of a statistical model as a tool for improving the forecasting and warning," NIS 98,000
The Israeli Ministry of Environmental Protection, grant no. 8-810, 2009-2010:
"Temperature, heat-stress and rainfall fluctuations and trends in Israel during the last 30 years: Is it evidence of climatic change? A climatological-synoptic study" (with H. Saaroni and P. Alpert, Tel Aviv University), NIS 178,700
- 2009-2010. The Open University of Israel Research Authority. Subject: " Projected Future Synoptic Regimes in the Mediterranean Basin and their Impact on the Region’s Hydro-climate" in cooperation with Yochanan Kushnir from Columbia University, USA. 60,000 NIS.
- 2010-2014, Israel Science Foundation - Grant for a research entitled: “Mediterranean Cyclones , synoptic analysis of their inner structure and its linkage to their evolution” (collaboration with Dr. H Saaroni Tel Aviv University) for 3 years - 125,000 NIS for each year.
- 2010/11 Keren Kayemet LeIsrael (JNF) - Grant for a research entitled: "Fluctuations in the Negev rainfall during the last 50 years - is it an evidence for climatic change? Climatological-synoptic study (collaboration with Dr. H Saaroni Tel Aviv University) - 56,000 NIS.
- 2013/16 Israel Science Foundation (ISF) - Grant for a research entitled: “Synoptic-climatic study of evolution scenarios of drought events over the Levant” (with collaboration with Prof. H Saaroni Tel Aviv University) Grant for 3 years 125,000 NIS for each year.
List of Publications
Open University Publications (in Hebrew)
An Introduction to Meteorology
Vol. I (with Y. Yair, 1994, 195 pp.).
Vol. II (with Y. Yair, 1994, 216 pp.).
R. Klein, B. Ziv, and N. Gazit Yaari, 2001, Between Water and Sky, Ramot, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel, 200 pp. (in Hebrew).
B. Ziv and R. Klein, 2001, Between Water and Sky: Teacherís Guide, Ramot, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel, 128 pp. (in Hebrew).
Chapters in Books
- P. Alpert, M. Baldi, R. Ilani, S. Krichak, C. Price, X. Rodo, H. Saaroni, B. Ziv, P. Kischa, J. Barkan, A. Mariotti, and E. Xoplaki, "Relations between climate variability in the Mediterranean region and the Tropics: ENSO, South Asian and African Monsoons, Hurricanes and Saharan dust". In P. Lionello, P. Malanotte-Rizzoli, and R. Boscolo, eds., The Mediterranean Climate Variability (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2006), pp. 149-177.
- Ulbrich U and 17 co-authors (including B. Ziv), 2012, Climate and the Mediterranean: Synoptic patterns, temperature, precipitation, winds and their extremes, In: Lionello P. (Ed.): The Climate of the Mediterranean Region: From the Past to the Future, London, Elsevier, 301-346.
- Xoplaki E and 19 co-authors (including B. Ziv), 2012, Large-scale atmoapheric circulation driving extreme climate events in the Mediterranean and its related impacts, In: Lionello P. (Ed.): The Climate of the Mediterranean Region: From the Past to the Future, London, Elsevier, 347-417.
- Ziv B., E. Shilo and A. Rimmer, 2014. "Meteorology". Chapter 6 In “Lake Kinneret – Ecology and Management”. Zohary T., Sukenik A., Berman T. and, Nishri A. [eds]. Springer (pp 81-97).
Articles in Refereed Journals
- E. Shilo, B. Ziv, E. Shamir c, A. Rimmer, 2015, Evaporation from Lake Kinneret, Israel, during hot summer days, Journal of Hydrology, 528: 264–275
- B. Ziv, N. Harats, E. Morin, Y. Yair, U, Dayan, 2016, Can Severe Rain Events over the Mediterranean Region Be Detected through Simple Numerical Indices?, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-016-2385-y
- H. Saaroni, B. Ziv, T. Harpaz, 2016, A new classification algorithm for daughter cyclones formations with respect to the parents' frontal system - application for the Mediterranean Basin, International Journal of Climatology, 35: 3847-3861, DOI: 10.1002/joc.4250
- Y. Yair, S. Katz, R. Yaniv, B. Ziv and C. Price, 2016, An electrified dust storm over the Negev desert, Israel, Atmospheric Research 181 (2016) 63–71
- P. Alpert & B. Ziv, The Sharav Cyclone: Observations and some theoretical considerations, J. of Geoph. Res., 94, 18,495-18,514 (1989).
- M. Segal, M. Mandel, P. Alpert, B. Ziv, R. Rabin, & A. Zangvil, On potential dry-line effects along the Negev: Conceptual evaluations, Isr. Meteor. Res. Pap. 5, 37-45 (1994).
- B. Ziv & P. Alpert, Isobaric to isentropic interpolation errors and implication to PV analysis, J. Appl. Meteor., 33, 694-703 (1994).
- J. Egger, P. Alpert, A. Tafferner, & B. Ziv, Numerical experiments on the genesis of Sharav Cyclones: Idealized simulation, Tellus, 47A, 162-174 (1994).
- B. Ziv & P. Alpert, Rotation of binary cyclones: A data analysis study, J. Atmos. Sci., 52, 1357-69 (1995).
- Z. Levin, Y. Yair, & B. Ziv, Positive cloud-to-ground lightning flashes and wind shear in Tel Aviv thunderstorms, Geoph. Res. Letters, 23, 17, 2231-4 (1995).
- H. Saaroni, A. Bitan, P. Alpert, & B. Ziv, Continental outbreaks into the Levant and eastern Mediterranean, Int. J. Clim., 16, 1-17 (1996).
- H. Saaroni, B. Ziv, A. Bitan, & P. Alpert, Easterly wind storms over Israel, Theoretical and App. Clim., 59, 61-77 (1998).
- B. Ziv & N. Paldor, The divergence field associated with time dependent jet streams, J. Atmos. Sci., 56, 6, 1843-57 (1999).
- H. Saaroni & B. Ziv, Summer rain episodes in a Mediterranean climate: The case of Israel: Climatological-dynamical analysis, Int. J. Clim., 20, 191-209 (2000).
- B. Ziv, A subtropical rainstorm associated with a tropical plume over Africa and the Middle-East, Theor. Appl. Clim., 69, 1/2, 91-102 (2001).
- U. Dayan, B. Ziv, A. Margalit, E. Morin, & D. Sharon, A severe autumn storm over the Middle-East: Synoptic and mesoscale convection analysis, Theor. Appl. Clim. 69, 1/2, 103-122 (2001).
- R. Kahana, B. Ziv, Y. Enzel, U. Dayan, Synoptic climatology of major floods in the Negev Desert, Israel, Int. J. Clim., 22, 867-822 (2002).
- Y. Yair, C. Price, Z. Levin, J. Joseph, P. Israelevitch, A. Devir, M. Moalem, B. Ziv, & M. Asfur, Sprite observations from the space shuttle during the Mediterranean Israeli Dust Experiment (MEIDEX), J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 65, 635-642 (2002).
- O. Altaratz, Z. Levin, Y. Yair, & B. Ziv, Lightning activity over land and sea on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean, Month. Weath. Rev., 131, 9, 2060-70 (2002).
- H. Saaroni & B. Ziv, The impact of a small urban lake on heat stress in a Mediterranean coastal city: The case of Tel Aviv, Israel, Int. J. Biometeorol., 47, 3, 156-65 (2003).
- Y. Enzel, R. Ken-Tor, D. Sharon, D. Gvirtzman, U. Dayan, B. Ziv, & M. Stein, Late holocene climates of the Near East deduced from Dead Sea level variations and regional winter rainfall, Quaternary Research, 60, 263-273 (2003).
- H. Saaroni, B. Ziv, J. Edelson, & P. Alpert, Long-term variations in summer temperatures over the eastern Mediterranean, Geophys. Res. Letters, 30, 18, 1946 (2003). DOI: 10.1029/2003GL017742
- B. Ziv & P. Alpert, Rotation of mid-latitude binary cyclones: A potential vorticity approach, Theor. and Appl. Climatology, 76, 3-4, 189-202 (2003).
- B. Ziv, Y. Yair, K. Pressman, & M. Fullekrug, Verification of the Aviation Center global forecasts of meso-scale convective cystems, Jour. App. Meteor, 43, 5, 720-26 (2003).
- B. Ziv, U. Dayan, & D. Sharon, A mid-winter, tropical extreme flood-producing storm in southern Israel: Synoptic scale analysis, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics (2004). DOI: 10.1007/s00703-003-0054-7
- P. Alpert, I. Osetinsky, B. Ziv, & H. Shafir, Semi-objective classification for daily synoptic systems: Application to the eastern Mediterranean climate change, Int. J. Climatol., 24, 8, 1001-11 (2004).
- P. Alpert, I. Osetinsky, B. Ziv, & H. Shafir, A new seasons definition based on the classified daily synoptic systems: An example for the eastern Mediterranean, Int. J. Climatol., 24, 1013-1021 (2004).
- R. Kahana, B. Ziv, U. Dayan, & Y. Enzel, Atmospheric predictors for major floods in the Negev desert, Israel, Int. J. Climatol., 24, 1137-1147 (2004).
- Y. Yair, P. Israelevich, A. Devir, M. Moalem, C. Price, J. Joseph, Z. Levin, B. Ziv, & A. Teller, New sprite observations from the space shuttle, J. Geophys. Res.,109, D15201 (2004).
- H. Saaroni, E. Maza, & B. Ziv, Summer sea breeze, under suppressive synoptic forcing, in a super-arid city-Eilat, Israel, Climate Research, 26, 213-220 (2004).
- B. Ziv, H. Saaroni, & P. Alpert, The factors governing the summer regime of the eastern Mediterranean, Int. J. Climatol., 24, 1859-1871 (2004).
- C. Price, E. Greenberg, Y. Yair, G. Saton, J. Bor, H. Fukunishi, M. Sato, P. Israelevitch, M. Moalem, A. Devir, Z. Levin, J. H. Joseph, I. Mayo, B. Ziv, & A. Sternlieb, Ground-based detection of TLE-producing intense lightning during the MEIDEX mission on board the Space Shuttle Columbia, Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L20107 (2004).
- L. Asaf, R. Nativ, M. A. Hassan, D. Shain, S. Geyer, & B. Ziv, Influence of small- and large-scale variables on the chemical and isotopic compositions of urban rainwater, as illustrated by a case study in Ashdod, Israel, J. of Geoph. Res., 100, D11307 (2005). DOI: 10.1029/2004jD005414
- Y. Yair, C. Price, B. Ziv, P. L. Israelevich, D. D. Sentman, F. T. São-Sabbas, A. D. Devir, M. Sato, C. J. Rodger, M. Moalem, E. Greenberg & O. Yaron, Space shuttle observation of an unusual transient atmospheric emission, Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L02801 (2005). DOI: 10.1029/2004GL021551
- P. Alpert, C. Price, S. O. Krichak, B. Ziv, H. Saaroni, I. Osetinsky, J. Barkan, P. Kishcha, Tropical tele-connections to the Mediterranean climate and weather, Advances in Geosciences, 2 157-160 (2005).
- B. Ziv, H. Saaroni, A. Baharad, D. Yekutieli & P. Alpert, Indications of aggravation in summer heat conditions over the Mediterranean Basin, Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, 12, L12706 (2005). DOI: 10.1029/2005GL022796
- B. Ziv, U. Dayan, Y. Kushnir, C. Roth and Y. Enzel, Regional and Global Atmospheric Patterns Governing Rainfall in the Southern Levant, Int. J. Climatol., 26, 55-73 (2006).
- Y. Yair, R. Aviv, G. Ravid, R. Yaniv, B. Ziv and C. Price., Evidence for synchronicity of lightning activity in networks of spatially remote thunderstorms. Jour. Atmos. Sol. Terr. Phys., 68 (2006), 1401-1415.
- P. Alpert, Price, C., Krichak, S., Ziv, B., Saaroni, H., Osetinsky, I., Barkan, J., Kishcha, P., Mediterranean climate and some tropical teleconnections, Nuovo Cimento C, 29(1), 89-97 (2006), doi:10.1393/ncc/i2005-10225-y
- C. Erlick, N. Paldor and B. Ziv, Linear waves in a symmetric equatorial channel, Q. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. 133, 571-577 (2007), DOI: 10.1002/gi.44.
- S. Rubin, B. Ziv and N. Paldor, Tropical Plumes over eastern North Africa as a source of rain in the Middle East, Mon. Wea. Rev., 35(12) (2007), 4135-4148.
- U. Dayan, B. Ziv, T. Shoop and Y. Enzel, Suspended dust over south-eastern Mediterranean and its relation to atmospheric circulations, Int. J. Climatology (2007), DOI: 10.1002
- M. Ganot Y. Yair, C. Price, B. Ziv, Y. Sherez, E. Greenberg, A. Devir, R. Yaniv, First detection of transient luminous events associated with winter thunderstorms in the eastern Mediterranean, Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, L12801 (2007), doi:10.1029/2007GL029258.
- M. Romem, B. Ziv and H. Saaroni, Scenarios in the development of Mediterranean cyclones, Advances in GeoSceinces,12 (2007), 59-65.
- E. Morin, N. Harats, Y. Jacoby, S. Arbel, M. Getker, A. Arazi, T. Grodek, B. Ziv, and U. Dayan, Studying the extremes: hydrometeorological investigation of a flood-causing rainstorm over Israel, Advances in GeoSceinces, 12 (2007), 107-114.
- S. Rubin, N. Paldor and B. Ziv, On the dominance of changes in planetary angular momentum in large scale Extra-tropical flows, Geophys. Res. Lett. 34 (2007), L23814, doi:10.1029/2007GL031145.
- Y. Enzel, R. Amit, U. Dayan, O. Crouvi, R. Kahana, D. Sharon, B. Ziv, The climatic and physiographic controls of the Eastern Mediterranean over the Late Pleistocene climates in the Southern Levant and its neighboring deserts, Global and Planetary Change 60 (2008), 165-192.
- B. Ziv, H. Saaroni, Y. Yair, M. Ganot, A. Baharad and D. Isaschari, Atmospheric factors governing winter thunderstorms in the coastal region of the Eastern Mediterranean, Theor. App. Clim., 95 (2009), 301-310.
- Y. Yair, C. Price, M. Ganot, E. Greenberg, R. Yaniv, B. Ziv, Y. Sherez, A. Devir, J. Bór and G. Sátori, Optical observations of transient luminous events associated with winter thunderstorms near the coast of Israel, Atmos. Res., 91 (2009), 529-537.
- C. C. Raible, B. Ziv, H. Saaroni and M. Wild, Winter synoptic-scale variability over the Mediterranean Basin under future climate conditions as simulated by the ECHAM5, Clim. Dynamics (2009), DOI 10.1007/s00382-009-0678-5
- Saaroni. H., T. Uman and B. Ziv, 2010: Does a synoptic classification indicate the NOx pollution potential? The case of the metropolitan area of Tel Aviv, Israel, Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 207, no1-4, pp. 139-155
- H. Saaroni, N. Halfon, B. Ziv, P. Alpert and H. Kutiel, Links between the rainfall regime in Israel and location and intensity of Cyprus lows, Int. J. Clim., 30 (2010), 1014-1025.
- B. Ziv, H. Saaroni, M. Romem, E. Heifetz, N. Harnik and A. Baharad, Analysis of Conveyor Belts in Winter Mediterranean Cyclones, Theor. App. Clim., 99 (2010), 441-455.
- H. Saaroni, T. Uman and B. Ziv, Does a synoptic classification indicate the NOx pollution potential? The case of the metropolitan area of Tel Aviv, Israel, Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 207 (1-4) (2010), 139-155.
- B. Ziv, H. Saaroni, The contribution of moisture to heat stress in a period of global warming: The case of the Mediterranean, Clim. Change (2010), DOI 10.1007/s10584-009-9710-3.
- Harats, N., B. Ziv, Y. Yair, V. Kotroni and U. Dayan, Dynamic and thermodynamic predictors for lightning and flash floods in the Mediterranean, Adv. Geophys. (2010), in press.
- Saaroni, H. and B. Ziv, Isolating the urban heat island contribution to urban and rural air-temperature differences over complex terrain: Application to an arid city, J. App. Meteor. and Clim. (2010), in press.
- Shalev, S., H. Saaroni, T. Izsak, Y. Yair and B. Ziv, 2011: The spatio-temporal distribution of lightning over Israel and the neighboring area and its relation to regional synoptic systems, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 11, 2125-2135.
- Price, C., Y. Yair, A. Mugnaic, K. Lagouvardosd, M.C. Llasate, S. Michaelidesf, U. Dayang, S. Dietrichc, E. Galantia, L. Garroteh, N. Haratsg, D. Katsanosd, M. Kohna, V. Kotronid, M. Llasat-Botijae, B. Lynng, L. Medieroh, E. Moring, K. Nicolaidesf, S. Rozalisa, K. Savvidouf and B. Ziv, 2011: The FLASH Project: Using lightning data to better understand and predict flash floods, Environmental Science & Policy, ENVSCI-891
- Price, C., Y. Yair, A. Mugnai, K. Lagouvardos, M. C. Llasat, S. Michaelides, U. Dayan, S. Dietrich, F. Di Paola, E. Galanti, L. Garrote, N. Harats, D. Katsanos, M. Kohn, V. Kotroni, M. Llasat-Botija, B. Lynn, L. Mediero, E. Morin, K. Nicolaides, S. Rozalis, K. Savvidou and B. Ziv, 2011: Using Lightning Data to Better Understand and Predict Flash Floods in the Mediterranean,: Surv Geophys 32:733–751, DOI 10.1007/s10712-011-9146-y
- M. Sorek-Hamer , A. Cohen , R.C. Levy , B. Ziv & D.M. Broday, 2013: Classification of dust days by satellite remotely sensed aerosol products, Int. J. of Remote Sensing, 34:8, 2672-2688
- Tzvi Harpaz, Baruch Ziv, Hadas Saaroni and Eran Beja (2014) Extreme summer temperatures in the East Mediterranean—dynamical analysis International Journal of Climatology, Volume 34, Issue 3, 15 March 2014, Pages: 849–862
- Ziv, B., Y. Kushnir, J. Nakamura, N. H. Naik and T. Harpaz, 2013: Coupled climate model simulations of Mediterranean winter cyclones and large-scale flow patterns, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 13, 1–15, doi:10.5194/nhess-13-1-2013.
- Yair, Y., L. Rubanenko, K. Mezuman, G. Elhalel, M. Pariente, M. Glickman-Pariente, B. Ziv, Y. Takahashi and T. Inoue, 2013: New color images of transient luminous events from dedicated observations on 1 the International Space Station, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 102, 140-147.
- Yair, Y., S. Shalev, Z. Erlich, A. Agrachov, E. Katz, H. Saaroni, C. Price and B. Ziv, 2013: Lightning flash multiplicity in eastern Mediterranean winter thunderstorms. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss, 1, 1-24, doi:10.5194/nhessd-1-12-13
- B. Ziv, H. Saaroni, R. Pargament, T. Harpaz and P. Alpert, 2013, Trends in rainfall regime over Israel, 1975-2010, and their relationship to large-scale variability, Regional Environmental Change, 14:1751–1764
- Dody, A., and B. Ziv, 2013: Factors affecting isotopic composition of the rainwater in the Negev Desert, Israel, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 118, doi:10.1002/jgrd.50592.
- Saaroni, H, Ziv, B, Lempert, J, Gazit, Y and Morin E, 2014: Prolonged dry spells in the Levant region - climatologic-synoptic analysis, Int J Clim, in press
- B. Ziv, T. Harpaz, H. Saaroni, R. Blender, 2014, A new methodology for identifying daughter cyclogenesis - application for the Mediterranean Basin, International Journal of Climatology, in press
Papers in Conference Proceedings
P. Alpert & B. Ziv
"The Sharav Cyclone in the north African Mediterranean coast: Observations and theory," Proceedings of the seminar on Tropical Meteorology at International School of the Mediterranean (pp. 455-465), Erice, Italy, Sept. 26-Oct. 3, 1986.
J. Egger, P. Alpert, A. Tafferner, & B. Ziv
"Genesis of Sharav Cyclones: Numerical experiments," Proceedings of the International Symposium on Life Cycles of Extratropical Cyclones (Vol. II, pp. 175-179), Bergen, Norway, June 27-July 1, 1994.
B. Ziv & P. Alpert
"Rotation of binary cyclone: A data analysis study," Proceedings of the International Symposium on Life Cycles of Extratropical Cyclones (Vol. II, pp. 364-369), Bergen, Norway, June 27-July 1, 1994.
B. Ziv & P. Alpert
"A potential vorticity conceptual model to the binary cyclone," Proceedings of the International Symposium on Life Cycles of Extratropical Cyclones (Vol. II, pp. 370-375), Bergen, Norway, June 27-July 1, 1994.
Z. Levin, Y. Yair, O. Altaratz & B. Ziv
"On the occurrence of positive ground flashes in Tel-Aviv thunderstorms," Proceedings of the 10th ICAE Meeting (pp. 640-643), Osaka, Japan, 1996.
"Heavy rain events in north Africa and the Mid-East associated with disturbances in the subtropical jet," Proceedings of the INM Palma Symposium on Hazardous Weather in the Mediterranean (pp. 463-468), Palma De Mallorca, Spain, April 1997.
H. Saaroni, B. Ziv, A. Bitan, & P. Alpert
"Easterly wind storms as an environmental hazard over Israel," Proceedings of the INM Palma Symposium on Hazardous Weather in the Mediterranean (pp. 509-516), Palma de Mallorca, Spain, April 1997.
B. Ziv & N. Paldor
"Horizontal divergence in time dependent jets," Proceedings of the 16th Conference on Weather Analysis and Forecasting (pp. 101-103), Phoenix, Arizona, January, 1998.
Y. Yair, C. Price, Z. Levin, A. Devir, J. Joseph, P. Israelevitch, B. Ziv, M. Moalem, & M. Asfur
"Coordinated global measurements of TLE from the space shuttle during the Mediterranean Israeli Dust Experiment (MEIDEX)," Proceedings of the URSI General Assembly (pp.313-316), Maastricht, August 19-22, 2002.
O. Altaratz, Z. Levin, Y. Yair, & B. Ziv
"Differences in winter lightning activity over land and sea across the eastern coast of the Mediterranean," Proceedings of the XII ICAE meeting (pp 73-76), Versailles, France, June 9-13, 2003.
Selected Papers at Scientific Conferences
"Heavy rain events in North Africa and the Mid-East associated with disturbances in the subtropical jet," The Israeli Meteor. Soc. Annual Meeting, Israel, March 1997.
"Synoptic conditions for drought," International Workshop on Drought and Desertification, Israel, May 1997.
"Synoptic aspects of drought in the Mediterranean and over Europe," Israel-Polish Joint Workshop on "Meteorological Aspects of Water Management and Utilization," Israel, November 1997.
P. Alpert & B. Ziv, "The Sharav Cyclone: Observations and application of a two-level baroclinic instability model," Third Conference on Mesoscale Processes, Vancouver, Canada, August 21-26, 1987.
P. Alpert & B. Ziv, "The Sharav Cyclone: Observations and some theoretical considerations," EGS XIV General Assembly, Barcelona, Spain, March 13-17, 1989.
B. Ziv, "On the significance of PV maps," Israel Meteorological Society Gathering, Shfayim, March 23, 1992.
B. Ziv, "Storms associated with jet-streams in Israel," Israel Meteorological Society Gathering, Shfayim, March 23-24, 1993.
B. Ziv, P. Alpert, & A. Tafferner, "Correlation between upper-level potential vorticity advection and vertical motion," EGS meeting, Wiesbaden, Germany, May 3-7, 1993.
B. Ziv, & P. Alpert, "Comparative study of isobaric to isentropic interpolation methods and implications for PV analysis," The Tenth Conference on Numerical Weather Prediction, Portland, Oregon, July 18-22, 1994.
B. Ziv & P. Alpert, "Rotation of binary cyclones: Data analysis," Israel Meteorological Society Gathering, Shfayim, March 23-24, 1994.
U. Dayan, B. Ziv, A. Margalit, E. Morin, & D. Sharon, "Synoptic and dynamic analysis of the 17-18 Oct. 1997 storm over the Middle-East," The Pre-Regional Conference of the Commission on Climatology "Climate and Environmental Changes," Evora, Portugal, August 1998.
H. Saaroni & B. Ziv, "Summer rainfall in Israel: Climatic synoptic analysis," The Pre-Regional Conference of the Commission on Climatology "Climate and Environmental Changes," Evora, Portugal, August 1998.
R. Kahana, B. Ziv, & Y. Enzel, "Synoptic climatology of rainstorms that induce floods in southern Israel: A key for improving flood prediction," The EGS2000: XXV General Assembly, Nice, France, April 2000.
R. Kahana, B. Ziv, & U. Dayan, "Predicting flash floods in the Negev desert, Israel," The 3rd Plinius Conference on Mediterranean Storms, European Geophysical Society, Barja Sardinia, Italy, October 1-3, 2001.
H. Saaroni & B. Ziv, "The impact of a small urban lake on heat stress in a Mediterranean coastal city: The case of Tel Aviv, Israel," Proceedings of the Fourth Symposium on the Urban Environment of the American Meteorological Society, Norfolk, VA, May 20-24, 2002.
B. Ziv, H. Saaroni, & P. Alpert, "The summer circulations over the Middle East and their teleconnections with remote systems: Climatological-dynamical analysis," 6th Hellenic Conference in Meteorology, Climatology and Atmospheric Physics, Ioanina, Greece, Sept. 25-28, 2002.
H. Saaroni, E. Maza, & B. Ziv, "Summer sea breeze in the gulf of Eilat and its effect on the climate of Eilat city," Fifth International Conference on Urban Climate, Lodz, Poland, September 1-5, 2003.