Updated: May 2014
- Professional Experience and Academic Appointments
- Administrative and other Activities
- Fields of Interest and Research
- Membership in Professional Societies
- Reviewer for Professional Journals
- Teaching Responsibility for Open University Courses
- List of Publications
- Research in Process and Planned Research
- Participation in Scientific Conferences
Born: Tel Aviv, Israel, 16 October 1962
Marital Status: Married + 5
|2001||Ph.D., Economics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Dissertation: "Intergenerational Transfers in Israel: Evidence and Economic Analysis"
Supervisor: Prof. Eytan Sheshinski, Department of Economics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
|2000||World Bank Institute and Harvard Institute for International Development Workshop on "Pension System in Crisis" (Harvard University, June 2000)|
|1996|| M.A., Economics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Thesis: "Intergenerational Transfers, Ricardian Equivalence and Public Pension Policy"
Supervisor: Prof. Daniel Tsidon, Department of Economics, Tel Aviv University
|1991|| B.A., Economics and complementary studies, Hebrew University
Thesis: "Talmudic Topics from Game Theory Perspective" (with distinction)
Supervisor: Prof. Motty Perry, Department of Economics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Professional Experience and Academic Appointments
|2013||Visiting Scholar, Berkeley Institute for Jewish Law and Israeli Law, Economy and Society, University of California, Berkeley.|
|2010||Senior Lecturer, Department of Economics and Management, The Open University of Israel|
|2004||Lecturer, Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel|
|2003||Lecturer, Department of Management and Economics, The Open University of Israel|
|2003||Lecturer, School of Education, Faculty of Social Sciences, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel|
|2002||Visiting Lecturer, Department of Management and Economics, The Open University of Israel|
|2002||Lecturer, Interdisciplinary department, Faculty of Social Sciences, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel|
|1993||Senior Auditor, Israel State Comptroller's Office, Department
of Economic Audit
Audit tasks included: Ministry of Finance, Bank of Israel and governmental enterprises
Topics of audit: Governmental budget, Capital Market regulation, Insurance regulation including Social Security and Pensions, Banking regulation and others
Administrative and other Activities
|2002||Member, Academic subcommittee for Social Sciences, The Open University of Israel|
|2002||Member,the Faculty Council, the Open University of Israel|
|2003||Member, Academic subcommittee for management and economics, The Open University of Israel|
|2003||Member, Academic subcommittee for psychology and education, The Open University of Israel|
|2005||Member, Committee for Accreditation of Prior Studies|
|2006||Member, Academic subcommittee for for sociology, political science and communication, The Open University of Israel|
|2007||Academic Director, the Hareidi Academic Studies Project|
|2007||Author of the Self Evaluation Report for the Department of Economics and Management, submitted to the Council of Higher Education|
|2008||Chairman, Academic subcommittee for management and economics, The Open University of Israel|
Fields of Interest and Research
- Intergenerational Economics
- Social Security
- Public Economics
- Political Economics
- Economics and Jewish Law
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Economic Association
- Public Choice Society
- Social Choice and Welfare
- Royal Economic Society
PrizesTager Prize For outstanding article in Jewish Law (2011).
- Scandinavian Journal of Economics
- The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis
- Defense and Peace Economics
- Public Choice
- Journal of Pension Economics and Finance
- CESifo Economic Studies
Teaching Responsibility for Open University Courses
- Public Economics
- Intergenerational Economics
- Social Preference and Choice
- Managerial Economics
List of Publications
Open University Books
Economics (5 units, October 2006)
Public Economics, (6 units, 2013).
- Schwarz, M. E., "Generational Accounting for Israel," The Economic Quarterly, 50(3), 2003 (Hebrew)
- Schwarz, M. E., "Intergenerational Transfers: An Integrative Approach," Journal of Public Economic Theory, 8(1), 2006, 61-93.
- Schwarz, M. E. and Sheshinski, E., "Quasi-Hyperbolic Discounting and Social Security Systems," European Economic Review, 51(5), 2007, 1247-1262.
- Epstein, G. S., Milchtaich, I., Nitzan, S. and Schwarz, M. E., "Ambiguous Political Power and Contest Efforts," Public Choice 132, 2007, 113-123.
- Epstein, G. S., Nitzan, S., and Schwarz, M. E., "Performance and Prize Decomposition in Contests," Public Choice 134, 2008, 429-443.
- Epstein, G. S., Nitzan, S. and Schwarz, M. E., "Efforts in Two-Sided Contests," Public Choice 136, 2008 pp. 283-291.
- Lipschits I. and Schwarz M. E.., "Aggregation of Estimates when Decision by Majority is not Possible", Jewish Law Annuals, (forthcoming). (Tager Prize for outstanding article in Jewish Law 2011). (Hebrew version).
- Schwarz M. E., "Subgame Perfect Plea Bargaining in Biform Judicial Contests". Review of Law and Economics 8(1), 2012 pp. 297-330. .
- Bar-El, R. and Schwarz, M. E., "Dynamics of Voluntary Contributions to Capacity and Operation of Public Goods”.
- Schwarz, M. E., "If You Can't Beat Them - Join Them: A Cooperative Game Theoretical Approach to Rent Seeking Contests"
- Schwarz M. E., "Minmax Shapley Value and Biform Contests Subgame Perfect Equilibrium".
- Schwarz M. E., "Subgame Perfect Compromise in the Shadow of Conflict".
- Schwarz M. E. "Might Makes (Contingent) Right: Equilibrium in the Stochastic Jungle".
Research in Process and Planned Research
- "Cycles of Predictable Surprises", (with Ronen Bar-El).
- Algorithms of Appraisal Aggregation from The Talmud (with Itay Lipschits and Rica Gonen).
- Religious Human Capital Accumulation and Socio-Economic Mobility in Hareidi Sector (with Ronen Bar-El, Yossi Tobol and Bradley Ruffle).
- “Bankruptcy Arbitrary Rules and Social Welfare Maximization”.
- "Ruling Procedures in Evidence-less Litigations" (with Itay Lipschits).
Participation in Scientific Conferences
- American Economic Association annual meeting, Washington, DC (January 2003)
- Public Choice Society annual meeting, Baltimore, MD (March 2004)
- 5th annual CERP conference, Moncalieri-Turin, Italy (June 2004)
- Israel Economic Association annual meeting, Maale Hachamisha (June 2004)
- Public Choice Society annual meeting, New Orleans, LA (March 2005)
- Public Choice Society annual meeting, New Orleans, LA (March 2006)
- 8th International Meeting of the Society for Social Choice and Welfare, Istanbul, July 2006
- Annual meeting of the Association for Public Economic Theory, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN (July 2007)
- Israel Economic Association annual meeting, Maale Hachamisha (June 2009)
- 10th Annual Conference of the Association for Public Economic Theory, Galway, Ireland (June, 2009)
- 13th International Conference on Economics and Security, Thessaloniki, Greece (Jun 2009)
- 5th Annual International Symposium on Economic Theory, Policy and Applications, Athens Greece (July 2010).
- CESifo conference on law and economics, Munich, (December 2012).
- Western Economic Association International 87th Annual Conference, San Francisco CA, (June 2012).
- 14th Annual conference of the Association for Public Economic Theory, Lisbon, Portugal (July 2013).
OthersSelected audit reports for the State Comptroller of Israel, published in Annual Reports:
- Audit reports on the government financial statements (annual reports 44 to 52)
- The water economics of Israel (annual report 44, pp. 33-43)
- The regulation of Provident Funds (annual report 46, pp. 1-24)
- The regulation of savings plans (annual report 47, pp. 93-99)
- The regulation of pension funds (several reports, for instance report 48, pp. 82-89)
- The regulation of insurance companies (almost in every report from 44 to 52)