- Professional Education
- Academic Appointments
- Professional Experience
- Fields of Research
- Research Grants
- Reports for Refereed Publications
- Membership in Professional Societies
- Participation in Scientific Conferences
- Academic Responsibility for Open University Courses
- other Teaching Experience
- other Professional Activities: Course development/upgrade
- List of Publications
Dr. Ofer Reany received his B.Sc. degree from Tel-Aviv University (1991), M.Sc. degree from Tel-Aviv University (1993) with Prof. B. Fuchs and Ph.D. degree from Tel-Aviv University (1998) with Prof. B. Fuchs. Following his post doctoral research (1998-2000) at the University of Durham in UK with Prof. D. Parker (synthesis of MRI contrast agents and chemical sensors for diagnostics) he joined the IMI-TAMI Institute for R&D Ltd, a division of ICL industrial products, and focused on novel synthetic route of Bicalutamide and conducted a polymorphism study on Famciclovir drug including up-scaling processes from lab scale through pilot stage to multi-kilograms. In 2002 he moved to AROMOR Flavors and Fragrances Ltd, expanding the scope of his management skills as the head of quality control (QC) department.
In early 2006 he joined Prof. E. Keinan research group as a senior researcher and lab manager. Initially he was highly involved in the study of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) including peroxide based explosives. Later he became deeply involved in supramolecular chemistry of cucurbiturils and their inclusion properties. In addition he collaborated with Prof. Haim Bibi from Carmel Hospital (today at Barzilai hospital) on a joint project concerning the study of ozone scavengers as anti-inflammatory agents and was involved in both synthetic and analytical efforts of the various research projects within the group. In October 2011 he joined the Department of Natural Sciences of the Open University of Israel as a guest lecturer and in early 2014 was promoted to Senior Lecturer. Currently his research includes the study of macrocyclic systems based on thio-glycoluril building blocks and applications there from, study of lateral Tetraazadecalin (TAD) architectures as new Lead(II) sequestering agents and applications of Click reaction in polymer chemistry.
Date of Birth:: 22.07.1967
Marital Status: Married + 3
|1988 - 1991|| B.Sc. in Chemistry
School of Chemistry
Tel-Aviv University, Israel
|1991 - 1993||M.Sc. (Cum Laude)
Chemistry“Chemical transformations in the citric acid series”
Supervisor: Prof. Benzion Fuchs
Tel-Aviv University, Israel
|1993 - 1998|| Ph.D., Organic Chemistry
“Studies of Novel Aminal Supramolecular Systems”
Supervisor: Prof. Benzion Fuchs
Tel-Aviv University, Israel
|2014 -||Senior Lecturer, Department of Natural Sciences; The Open University of Israel.|
|2011 - 2013||Guest Lecturer, Department of Natural Sciences; The Open University of Israel.|
|2009 – 2013||Treasurer of The Israel Chemical Society|
|2006 – 2011||Senior Researcher and lab Manager at Prof. Ehud Keinan's Laboratories, Schulich Faculty of Chemistry, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, Israel.|
|2002 – 2006||QC Manager, Aromor Flavors & Fragrances, Kibbutz Givat-Oz, 19225, Israel.|
|2000 – 2002||Organic Chemist researcher, Fine chemicals division, TAMI (IMI) Institute of research & development, Israel.|
|1998 – 2000||Post doctoral Senior Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, Durham University, UK, in Prof. David Parker's research group.|
|1998||Researcher, Volcani center, Soil Institute, the Food Science & Technologies departement, Beit-Dagan, Israel. Research experience: Chitosan chemistry and size exclusion chromatography (SEC). (6 month project)|
Fields of Research
Organic Synthesis, Supramolecular Chemistry, Dynamically Active Host-Guest Systems, Improvised Peroxide-Based Explosives, Thiourea-based Receptors and Catalysis, Click Reactions.
|Dec. 2011 -||The Open University of Israel, Research start-up funding: "Functionalized cucurbiturils: Synthetic substitute of the biotin-avidin technology"; 100,000 NIS.|
|Nov. 2012 - Oct. 2014||PBC Fellowship of VATAT (Dr. Mandeep Singh): " Lateral tetraazadecalin (TAD) architectures: new lead(II) sequestering agents", 100,000 NIS per year.|
|Nov. 2013 - Oct. 2014||Internal post-doctoral grant (Dr. Revanath Sutar), The Open University of Israel; Reversible 1,2,3-Triazole Ring-opening/Ring-closure Click Chemistry, 70,200 NIS|
|Nov. 2013||Internal funding of The Open University of Israel; "Novel Oligomeric Thiourea Building Blocks"; 40,000 NIS.|
|Dec. 2013 - Oct. 2016||Infrastructure Research in the Field of Organic Chemistry (MOST); "Multifarenes: new functional cavitands for selective sensing and catalysis", 231,000 NIS.|
|Jan. 2014 (approved)||PBC Fellowship of VATAT commencing from Oct. 2014 (Dr. Tanuja Ramamurthi): "Rigid Multifarenes: new functional cavitands for selective binding"; 100,000 NIS per year.|
|2000||Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Post-Doctoral Fellowship|
|1999||Biotechnology & Biological Science Research Council (BBSRC) Post-Doctoral Fellowship|
|1998||The Trotzky Foundation award for outstanding Ph.D. research.|
|1996||Student Dean’s Prize, donated by the Chemists Organization, Israel|
Reports for Refereed Publications
Supramolecular Chemistry (manuscript GSCH-2013-0191)
RSC Advances (manuscripts RA-ART-10-2013-045717; RA-ART-01-2013-040224)
Letters in Organic Chemistry (manuscript 17831-63459-2-SM-LOC)
Molecules (manuscript molecules-44045)
|2012||European Journal of Organic Chemistry (manuscript 201201655)|
Membership in Professional Societies
- Israel Chemical Society (ICS)
- Israel Analytical Chemistry Society (IACS)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- European Association for Chemical and Molecular Sciences (EuCheMS).
Participation in Scientific Conferences
|Aug. 2012||4th EuCheMS Congress (Prague, Czeck Republic): "Unprecedent bistable host-guest complexes of cucurbituril and aromatic diammonium salts".|
|Feb. 2012||The 77th Annual Meeting of the Israel Chemistry Society: "Molecular sensors: principles and applications".|
|Jan. 2010||The 13th Annual Meeting of the Israel Analytical Chemistry Society: Switchable cucurbitril-bipyridine beacons|
|Jan. 2008||The 11th Annual Meeting of the Israel Analytical Chemistry Society: "The growing threat of terror by peroxide-based explosives".|
|Nov. 2007||Special meeting at the Hebrew University: "Crystallization and Concomitant Polymorphism of TATP: Acid Catalyst Effect."|
Academic Responsibility for Open University Courses
- Organic Chemistry (20456)
- Organic Chemistry for Biology (20282)
- Organic Chemistry Laboratory (20439)
- Inorganic Chemistry (20404)
- Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory (20463)
- Seminar on Oxygen: Chemical and Biological aspects (20349)
- Seminar on Topics in Industrial Chemistry (20350)
Other Teaching Experience
|2010 - 2011||Instrumental Chemistry, (2nd Year Course for Biotechnology and Chemistry), Tel-Hai College.
Physical Chemistry (1nd Year Course for Biotechnology and Chemistry), Tel-Hai College.
|2009 - 2010||Instrumental Chemistry, (2nd Year Course for Biotechnology and Chemistry), Tel-Hai College.|
Other Professional Activities: Course development/upgrade
- Advanced Organic chemistry (20915) Date: March, 2015.
- Seminar on Advanced Topics in Organic Synthesis (proposal status).
List of Publications
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Reany, O., Grabarnik, M., Goldberg, I., Abramson, S., Star, A., Fuchs B.; trans and cis-1,3,5,7-Tetraazadecalin (TAD): A New & Strong Binding Mode in cis-TAD Chelates of Heavy Metal Ions. Tetrahedron Letters, 1997, 38, 8073-8076. Cited: 11. IF: 2.68.
- Reany, O., Goldberg, I., Abramson, S., Golender, L., Ganguly, B., Fuchs B.; The 1,3,5,7-tetraazadecalins: Structure, Conformation, and Stereoeelectronics. Theory vs. Experimental, The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 1998, 63, 8850-8859. Cited: 15. IF: 4.45.
- Galasso, V., Jones, D., Reany, O., Ganguly, B., Abramson, S., Fuchs B.; Theoretical Study of the Molecuklar Structure and Spectroscopic Properties of 1,7:3,5-Dimethylene-cis-1,3,5,7-tetraazadecalin, Journal of Molecular Structure-THEOCHEM, 1999, 491,187-191.
- Reany, O., Gunnlaugson, T., Parker D.; Selective Signalling of Zinc Ions by Modulation of Terbium Luminescence, Chemical Communications, 2000, 473-474. Cited: 88. IF: 6.17.
- Reany, O., Blair, S., Kataky, R., Parker D.; Solution Complexation Behaviour of 1,3,5-Trioxacyclohexane Based Ligands & Their Evaluations as Ionophores for Group Ia/IIa Metal Ions, Journal of the Chemical Society Perkin Transactions 2, 2000, 4, 623-630.
- Reany, O., Gunnlaugson, T., Parker D.; A model System Exhibiting Modulation of Ln luminescence to signal Zn+2 Ions in Competitive Aqueous Media, Journal of the Chemical Society Perkin Transactions 2, 2000, 9, 1819-1832. Cited: 66.
- Low, M. P., Parker, D., Reany, O., Aime, S., Botta M., Castellano G., Gianolio E., Pagliarin, R.; pH-Dependent Modulation of Relaxivity and Luminescence in Macrocyclic Gd and Eu Complexes Based on Reversible Intramolecular Sulfonamide Ligation, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2001, 123 (31), 7601-7609. Cited: 128. IF: 9.9.
- Pappo, D., Mejuch, T., Reany, O., Solel, O., Mahender, G., Keinan, E.; Diverse Functionalization of Corannulens: Easy Access to Pentagonal Superstructures; Organic Letters 2009, 11 (5), 1063-1065. Cited: 14. IF: 5.8
- Ratner, T., Reany, O., Keinan, E.; NMR-Based Encoding and Processing of Alphanumeric Information. ChemPhysChem, 2009, 10, 3303-3309. Cited: 1. IF: 3.4
- Reany, O., Kapon, M., Botoshansky, M., Keinan, E.; Rich Polymorphism in TriAcetone TriPeroxide. Crystal Growth & Design 2009, 9 (8), 3661-3670. Cited: 9. IF: 4.7.
- Sinha, M. K., Reany, O., Parvari, G., Karmakar, A., Keinan, E.; Switchable Cucurbituril-Bipyridine Beacons, Chemistry-A European Journal, 2010, 16 (30), 9056-9067. Cited: 11. IF: 5.9.
- Parvari, G., Reany, O., Keinan, E.; Applicable Properties of Cucurbiturils, Israel Journal of Chemistry, 2011, 51, 646-663. Cited: 8. IF: 1.5.
- Botoshansky, M., Reany, O., Keinan, E. Crystal Structures of Novel CB Complexes with p-Xylylenediammine Derivatives, Acta Crystallography 2011, A67, C612-C613.
- Sinha, M. K., Reany, O.,* Yefet, M., Botoshansky, M., Keinan, E. Bistable Cucurbituril Rotaxanes without Stoppers, Chemistry-A European Journal, 2012, 18 (18), 5589-5605. IF: 5.9.
- Reany, O.,* Fuchs, B. Lateral cis-1,3,5,7-Tetraazadecalin Podands and their Complexes: Synthesis, Structure, and Strong Binding with Pb(II) and Other Heavy Metal Ions. Inorg. Chem., 2013, 52, 1976-1990.
- Bulatov, V; Reany, O.*, Grinko, R., Schechter, I., Keinan, E.* 'Time-resolved, laser initiated detonation of TATP supports previously predicted non-redox mechanism" Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2013, 15, 6041-6048.
- Singh, M.; Parvari, G.; Botoshansky, M.; Keinan, E.*; Reany, O.* The Synthetic Challenge of Thioglycolurils. Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2014, early view (doi: 10.1002/ejoc.201301672).
Submitted for Publication in Refereed Journals
- Bibi, H.; Reany, O.; Waisman, D.; Keinan, E. Prophylactic treatment of asthma by an ozone scavenger in a mouse model. Eur. Respir. J. IF: 7.5.
- Dolitzky, B., Reany, O., Wizel, S., Shammai, J.; Crystalline Solid Famciclovir Forms I, II, III and Preparation thereof; US Patent 2004/0097528 A1, Published date: May 20, 2004
- Dolitzky, B., Reany, O., Shammai, J.; Novel Process for Preparing & Isolating rac-Bicalutamide & Its Intermediates; US Patent 2004/0044249 A1, Published date: March 4, 2004.